As I say farewell to sultry Jericoacoara, what can I tell you about it, finally, by way of recommendation or caution?
- It has extremely consistent wind, in November. There hasn´t been one day without plane-able winds, in three weeks, and I can´t think of another spot I have visited where that could be said.
- It´s a great spot to get to know how to play in baby waves, and turn down the line. Though the swell size here is never going to thrill the blood of a dedicated wave head.
- It seems to be a good spot to practise freestyle, from the number of folks here doing it.
- It´s not a great place to sail if you can´t waterstart or get a shortboard upwind. On account of being offshore, and all.
- It´s warm enough to sail without a shorty, though somewhat oppressively hot at midday.
They are well organised here, or appear so. As previously documented, the rescue service is a bit sketchy, so you should be prepared to make your own landfall if you drift...and at high tide that landfall will be at least a mile away.
There is also RRD hire on the beach - less choice of kit, less well placed in terms of the point, and no rescue service offered.
I booked through Sportif, but now I´ve been here, I realise you could easily book your own package, direct with Club Ventos and on-line pousadas. If you were very adventurous, you could vary it with a trip down the coast, too, to Icaraizhina or the delta national park which is 600km westwards.
The village is definitely a tourist town, but still quite charming, not overly built up and proudly Brazilian, with it´s capoeira, forro, rice and beans and Brazilian colours everywhere.
Finally, I hear they´re planning an international airport nearby to cut out the transfer from Forteleza. Not sure what that means for Jeri - it may overload the place completely, or alternatively open up a number of places nearby, like Icarai.
That´s it, I´m signing off. I´m coming home browner, fitter, and a better windsurfer - though I still can´t flippin´carve gybe. Next year. Back to Egypt and some flat water, I reckon.
J
No comments:
Post a Comment