My counting has got a bit out of whack. This is my first day in Jericoacoara.
The journey was longer than it should have been, 28 hours, and so we arrived at dawn after a long and interrupted night. Have you had that feeling, when you arrive at a long-anticipated destination after a tiring journey, that it all looks stranger and less hospitable than you hoped, and you have to tell yourself it will all look better in the morning, after a decent night's sleep?
Well, as we barrelled along the beach in the big 4wd jeep, rosy dunes on one side, pearly, silky sea on the other, there was none of that. I had a huge smile on my face despite the lack of sleep and the early hour. And it's gone on as completely delightful and all as it should be since. The pousada is charming and quiet. The centre is well organised but also relaxed. The other guests are friendly and interesting. The conditions are acceptably challenging but not insurmountable. I did have to do a half mile walk of shame today after my first board proved a bit technical for me – but, hey, that's not unexpected and it's amazing I got out today at all.
I would write more, much more, but I have some folks to meet in the bar for a sundowner. mfl, as we used to say,
No comments:
Post a Comment